What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Wednesday, August 31, 2011

Day 85...Dear Mr. President... More Good News for August.


Day 85

Dear Mr. President,

This is the last day of August… my ‘Good News’ only, month of LTTP’s… Letters to the President. I have to tell you, it hasn’t been easy finding good news that rises to a Presidential level, but yesterdays letter regarding Larry Powell was the best, most inspiring, and uplifting news I’ve found all month.

The next time anyone mentions ‘shared sacrifice’ or you need to remind people what it means, I suggest you use Larry Powell as the ‘Poster Person’ for your talks. I have sent Mr. Powell an email thanking him for giving so much to the children in the Fresno County School District. If you, or your staff would like to send a personal thank you too, Mr. Powell’s email is: lpowell@fcoe.org. I know he would appreciate knowing that people notice when someone steps up to the plate and actually puts their money where their mouth is… too few do.

Marilyn Gray Mensinger, of Modesto, forwarded a copy of my letter to Berkshire Hathaway for Warren Buffett. This is what Marilyn said: “Please share this story about a true American hero with Mr. Buffett - Larry Powell in Fresno, California represents the best kind of educator who truly cares about the children in his school district. If everyone paid their fair share of taxes, our children would be able to look forward to a much brighter future through better education.” Thank you, Marilyn Gray Mensinger, Modesto, CA.

There is some more good news I want to share with you on this last day of August… UPS is buying 100 all-electric deliver trucks for deployment throughout California. A Stockton-based electric vehicle manufacturer will have them ready for deployment by early next year. These vehicles will not only be zero-emission, but they will save 126,000 gallons of fuel every year. Governor Brown declared: “This innovative partnership is proof positive that California businesses can boost their bottom line, put Californians to work and chip away at our environmental challenges.” Now that’s some good news you might want to share too.

Along that same vein, Delta announced its plan to buy 100 Boeing 737 jets with delivery set for 2013 to 2018. These too are designed with roomier cabins, more room in overhead bins and less engine noise. In addition, they have huge benefits for airlines because they are more efficient, burn less fuel and require less maintenance.

So although ‘good news’ is sometimes hard to find, it is out there, it is happening all around us each and every day… we just need to open our eyes, minds, and hearts. We need to see even simple things, like someone comforting a child, or holding the door for someone in a wheelchair, as good news. Being kind to one another is contagious, if we all practice kindness, that will be good news indeed.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment