What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Saturday, January 28, 2012

Letter #137... Dear Mr. President... An Apology on Behalf of All Americans


Dear Mr. President,

I’d like to apologize for the rude and disrespectful manner in which Governor Jan Brewer greeted you the other day when you arrived in Arizona. I believe that I speak for all decent Americans when I say, “we are deeply sorry” for this very public display, and obvious lack of respect toward you personally, and the office of the President.
Gov. Brewer... You need to apologize.

I’m sure there are many good people in Arizona, who now know, that their Governor is capable of being blatantly disrespectful toward another elected official, and their President, and that somehow she thought it could play out to her best advantage. This is unacceptable behavior for anyone, on any level, and I hope at some point Gov. Brewer recognizes this and apologizes in her own behalf.

As we know Gov. Brewer followed this blatantly disrespectful act with a round of talk show interviews trying to put a positive spin on her rudeness by saying she felt threatened, that some how, some way, your body language was threatening. Even the most hapless inebriate would be able to point to the person in that photo that was threatening… and it most certainly wasn’t you Mr. President.

Con. Giffords letter of resignation
On the other end of the spectrum in Arizona we have Congresswoman, Gabrielle Giffords, walking bravely and respectfully up the stairs toward the rostrum of Speaker Boehner to personally hand him her letter of resignation. Even though they had many differences besides party affiliation, both Speaker Boehner, and Congresswoman Giffords, knew how to display the proper etiquette, the proper decorum and proper respect, befitting the Chamber and the political office each held.

Former Speaker, Nancy Pelosi, hit the nail on the head when she spoke of Giffords, “she has brought the word ‘dignity’ to new heights.” Indeed, it was a moment that made us all proud, regardless of our political differences. In fact, it was easy to see how moved Speaker Boehner was by looking at his facial expressions… which I believe were genuine, and appropriately emotional.

I can only hope that in the ensuing months, people from both parties will remember these images and decide for themselves how they want our America viewed by the rest of the world, through the disrespectful eyes of Gov. Brewer, or the gracious and dignified eyes of Congresswoman Giffords. I know… there really is only one answer.

Again, please accept my apology, and the apology of all decent and genteel Americans, for the unconscionably rude behavior of the Governor of the great State of Arizona. It was most certainly uncalled for, unnecessary, and 100% inappropriate.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers,
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment