What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, October 7, 2011

Letter 103... Dear Mr. President... I feel it in my bones... at last!


Letter 103

Dear Mr. President:

I can feel it in my bones… the tide is changing and change is coming. At last I feel the voices of the American people are being heard. The “Occupy Wall Street” protests are finally catching the attention of politicians and people around the world.

When I started writing my ‘Letters to the President’ and posting them on my BLOG at: www.washboardexpress, people asked my why? What’s the point? What good is it going to do? Do you really think the President will see even one of your letters?

Naysayers all… except, my husband Gary… he knew it was the only way I could express my frustration at what was happening to my country. Over the months I have begged, cajoled and chided you for not speaking up about the issues confronting ordinary Americans. You may not have seen any of my letters, but I have too believe that I’m not the only one telling you to “speak up”… “get tough”… and call the Republicans on their obstructionist politics.

You did just that yesterday during your press conference… I cheered when you called out House Speaker John Boehner and Mitch McConnell, noting that McConnell has said "his number-one goal was to beat me… not put Americans back to work, not grow the economy, not help small businesses expand, but to defeat me. And he's been saying that now for a couple of years." As Etta James sings her famous song… “At Last.” At last, you’re taking the bull by the horns and pushing back… At Last!

It must be working because the Republicans are starting to get a little nervous… just last night I got a call from some GOP poll group out of D.C., asking me what I thought of your performance so far. Initially, not realizing this was a GOP pollster, I replied that your performance so far was mixed… some good, some not so good. Then he started to talk about your “failed” economic policies… and that’s when I realized just whom I was talking too. I reminded him about GM and Chrysler being saved, and other measures that you’ve tried to do to help the American people, and how the GOP has thwarted your every effort.

He then said something about Americans only realizing $13 dollars in real savings under your policies… and that’s when I lost it. You see I’m not like you Mr. President, I don’t remain calm when attacked, and I didn’t remain calm when you were attacked. I attacked back, firing both verbal barrels at once. My husband blanched at my verbal assault on this poor guy, telling him just what I thought about the Republican controlled house, and yes, I did use a few colorful expletives in the process of my re-education of this hapless guy, but I was in a zone and there was no going back. When I finished, he wished me a nice evening, and I wished him one as well. I’m quite sure he put a line through my name and put me on a “do not call list.”

Did I feel better… you bet I did! Right down to my core and through all my bones… I felt great!

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment