What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Day 74...Dear Mr. President... My 'Pledge' to getting some stuff done.


Day 74
Dear Mr. President,

In your last press conference you made several valid and important points, but the last statement you made is probably the most important one… “At some point if you want to be a leader then you lead.” Exactly! You are the President, not Speaker Boehner… You!

Backing up a bit, you did say one thing that I strongly disagree with, and it’s when you said that the thing the American people are most concerned about is the economy and the deficit.  The group you’re talking about are the large corporations, billionaires and millionaires. That’s not the ‘people’ most Americans envision.

All polls show that “The People” are more concerned with job creation… if people don’t have jobs then we will continue this downward spiral. When people have no money to spend the demand for goods goes down and corporations cut back until the demand returns. And where do they cut back? They cut their work force putting more people out of work and creating even less demand for their goods. It’s the vicious cycle we’re in today, and that’s what concerns ordinary Americans the most.

Americans having a job will fix the economy.

These are the folks for you to keep in mind every single day you’re in office. And you’re absolutely right when you said that, “… the American people are just desperate for folks who are willing to put aside politics just for a minute and try to get some stuff done.”

That’s what we want to hear from our President. There’s a reason that there’s only one rooster in the henhouse… one is all that is needed. You are the one and only President in the White House, and that’s all we need. We need you to crow loud and proud so we feel safe and protected… that’s what it means to be the leader-in-chief.

Now back to putting aside politics and getting stuff done. My husband and I are both on Social Security, and both on Medicare… two great programs for which we are extremely grateful and fortunate to have.

While I believe that seniors, those with disabilities, and kids have suffered enough cuts to their programs, while the super rich, big oil and corporations have not suffered one iota, I’m still willing to do even more.

Here’s what my husband and I are willing to do to put our ‘politics’ aside. We are willing to give up $100. of our S.S. income each month. Even though we’re on a fixed income, we can tighten a bit more to help save programs for people with less. I think there are plenty of others that would be willing to do the same, just as there are many rich people that agree to pay more in taxes, knowing they can certainly afford more without sacrificing anything.

The Republicans are great about signing pledges… why don’t you ask the American people to sign ‘your’ pledge to save this country… You can put my name first on the list with a pledge of $100 per month/$1,200 per year. Now let’s get some stuff done… together.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers, 
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment