What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, July 1, 2011

Day 57...Dear Mr. President... One thing Glenn Beck does right.


Day 57 – July 1, 2011

Dear Mr. President,

Since this the beginning of the month, I thought I’d offer a suggestion to help you get the word out about the “reality” of the economy, and jobs vs corporate taxes.

We’ve been hearing for decades that we can create jobs by cutting taxes. This lie has been told so often that most people actually believe it. In June of last year the Republican Rep. from Illinois, Bobby Schilling said this:

“We can create jobs by cutting taxes to let Americans spend and invest their hard-earned money. If you have more money in your pocket you can buy more goods and services, which will stimulate the economy and infuse jobs into our economy. Employers will inevitably start to hire more workers, and the cycle will continue. That’s how economics works.”

We’ve been listening to this outrageous lie since Reagan began talking about ‘trickle down economics’ and it simply isn’t true. The fact is that these corporations don’t create more jobs… in fact just the opposite is true. Statistics from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, Office of Management and the Budget shows that since 1967 the more corporate taxes are cut, the higher the unemployment rate climbs, and the longer the duration of that unemployment lasts.

You know this, and I know this… so why doesn’t the average American understand it? Because simply telling them the ‘facts’ or publishing articles about the ‘facts’ just isn’t getting through. The conservative lies being told are louder and said more often than the truth, and people just don’t read.

So my suggestion Mr. President is this… now this is going to sound strange coming from me because I detest this man, but he does one thing right… he ‘shows’ people what he wants them to believe. So you need take a lesson from Glenn Beck and use grafts and charts and chalkboards or whatever it takes to “show” people how supply side economics just doesn’t work because just telling them isn’t working. It’s not that it couldn’t, it’s that corporate greed has prevented it from working. The following is a very good ‘visual’ so that people can actually “see” the reality about taxes.
http://irregulartimes.com/index.php/archives/2011/06/20/bobby-schilling-vs-reality-taxes-and-employment-1967-2011/

FACT: Lower taxes for corporations and wealthy people have NOT lead to more jobs!

You, Mr. President, and your administration, need to do a better job of getting the message out. People need to hear the truth, over and over and over again because so far they seem to prefer to believe the oft-told lies of the Republican Party.

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny
Marcia Reimers

No comments:

Post a Comment