What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, September 9, 2011

Day 88...Dear Mr. President... Congratulations! "You Gave 'um Hell Barry!"


Day 88

Dear Mr. President,

What an amazing speech you gave last night… 32 minutes of music to this ole’ Granny’s ears. You said exactly what I wanted to hear, and you delivered it in exactly the tone I needed to hear. Congratulations and “Thanks for giving ‘um Hell Barry.”

You did an outstanding job of communicating precisely what this country needed to hear… a plan to put Americans back to work. On Day 87 of my Letters to the President I asked you to “Call out the current Congress… tell them what your plan is… and to tell them to get started on putting people back to work”… and you did just that. In a brilliant and masterful way, you defined for the American people what The American Jobs Act is, what it will cost, and then asked Congress to pass it now.

I’m telling you, I was cheering from my own family room recliner… I couldn’t have asked for anything more in that speech or in your delivery. There are simply not enough adjectives to describe how I felt, but I can tell you this, my faith and my hope in you and this presidency has been restored.

I have to admit, I’ve been feeling a little disheartened lately. Every time the Republicans would show their utter contempt and total disrespect for you and the office of the President, I took it personally. With each figurative slap in the face and punch in the gut they delivered, I took it personally… because this was not my America. This was not the intelligent thoughtful body politic I had come to expect. Instead it became the body politic of rancor, rudeness and total disrespect for the Office of the President. And, this whole country, the people and even the world, is suffering because of it. We are all being diminished by vengeful politics.

Last night, in your uniquely eloquent way, you brought us back to civility by asking for help and cooperation in putting America back to work… by making Made in the U.S.A. something to strive for and be proud of again. You did it in an honest and forthright manner, with strength and passion… the same passion we saw on the campaign trail, and the same passion we need to continue to hear moving forward.

I honestly feel like I have my President back, and for that I am grateful. Grateful because we need a powerful leader and I know you have that in you, and I know you can deliver that to the American people. Continue to share that passion and vision in all of your stops around the country. And when you run into a politician, whether it is a Democrat, Republican or Independent that promotes obstructionism over cooperation… call them out. Every day, tell the American people which politician’s are the problem, and which ones are working on solutions, then post their votes on your website. Hold Congress accountable, and we will too.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
Your Gadfly Granny

1 comment:

  1. Marcia, I love your site and your letters. Great Job.

    I also have a blog where I list stories of progress everyday. I am creating Web pages which list the number of folks who will be affected by the Jobs bill. I hope everyone who reads your blog will also read these web pages and get the word out about the bill.

    The more I learn about this bill the more I live it.

    THE AMERICAN JOBS ACT: IMPACT FOR CALIFORNIA
    http://www.whatisworking.com/2011/09/american-jobs-act-impact-for-california.html

    ReplyDelete