What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Day 94...Dear Mr. President... You've caught the vermin in their own trap.


Day 94

Dear Mr. President,

The last paragraph of my letter to you on Day 66 began with… “Brilliantly played Mr. President… and I have to say it again… Brilliantly played Mr. President.

Just when the GOP has been lulled into believing that you will acquiesce to all their demands, you lure them into a trap of their own making and slam the door shut. And like all captured vermin they’re snarling, snapping, and viciously trying to claw their way out of the trap.

Now that the Republicans have participated in two debates that clearly show each of them intend to kill health care reform, kill environmental reforms to combat global warming, kill job creation and the American Jobs Act, kill the Dream Act and Immigration reform, and kill any kind of tax loophole reform, or revenue raising bills you have proposed in the past… you spring the trap.

You’ve shown the Republicans for what they are… the “Kill anything Obama Party” even if it means destroying this country and watching ordinary Americans fall deeper in debt. You’ve shown the American people that the GOP has no other plan except that of keeping you from winning re-election. You’ve shown that if Republicans could have their way they would kill unions, kill collective bargaining rights, and kill any tax cuts for average Americans, while keeping tax cuts for corporations and the wealthy.

After pleading with you in letter after letter, to stop trying to negotiate with the GOP, you finally said enough is enough. It was music to these old ears to hear that Social Security is off of the table and that you would veto any attempt to cut Medicare benefits without raising taxes on the wealthiest taxpayers. My heart beat faster when you said that you will not support any plan that puts the burden for closing our deficit on ordinary Americans.

This is the Obama I voted for in 2008, and this is the President Obama I will vote for again in 2012. You’ve given all of us proud liberals and progressives a bit of indigestion this past year, but I finally understand the master plan. I understand that you have not strayed from your true beliefs, and that you remain the “Peoples President”… and I expect to see you fulfill even more of your campaign promises in the months to come. Fulfilling those promises is the trump card that only you hold, so now that I know you’re not afraid to use it, I say… it’s time to ‘double down’!

So Mr. President, brilliantly played… you’ve sprung the trap on the GOP with their own vile rhetoric of ‘kill anything Obama’… even if it means killing America. You’ve shown them to be exactly what they are… “The Party of Petty Politicians.”

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment