What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Day 92...Dear Mr. President... Save Me From the 'Good Christians'.


Day 92

Dear Mr. President,

I don’t know how you do it, I don’t know how you keep turning the other cheek when people criticize your faith in God, and still insist that you are a Muslim born in Kenya. I am so sick and tired of people claiming to be “Good Christians,” and yet, acting in very ‘Un-Christian’ ways.

I was appalled at the audience response to the question being asked of Ron Paul about the hypothetical uninsured 30 year old needing long-term care, and if they should just let him die… the audience actually shouted out ‘yes’ let him die. And Pat Robertson saying a man should divorce his wife if she has Alzheimer’s. This is a man who became a billionaire off of Christians and Christian radio for God sake.

Then we have Rick Perry who unashamedly had no problem telling everyone he was proud of Texas’ record number of executions. He said he had no problem sleeping at night even if they occasionally execute an innocent man. And Perry has the audacity to tell us that “God” told him to run for President. If God was going to tell him anything it would be to “stop murdering” his children.

I saw a recent post on Facebook telling people not to buy Pepsi when the new can comes out because they put the pledge of allegiance on it using the pre-1954 version without ‘under God’ in it. It’s a can of soda trying to look patriotic for crying out loud, not trying to incite a riot or over-throw the government. It’s the Pledge of Allegiance!

I recited the original pledge until I was 9 years old, which was good enough for the whole country for 62 years until the Knights of Columbus campaigned Congress to add ‘under God’. In fact, Francis Bellamy wanted to add the word ‘equality’ but the Superintendents of Education were against equality for women and blacks. I’m sure those good people also claimed to be ‘Good Christians’.

This business of having to be so ‘politically correct’ all the time has reached a point where no matter what you say or how you say it… somebody is going to be offended and start calling you all kinds of vile names. Personally, I cringe, every time you end a speech with… “And may God Bless You, and God Bless the United States of America.” I cringe because I know what some people are thinking… that you’re not really a Christian, you’re just pretending to be one.

So after watching both Republican debates, and listening to the ‘Good Christians' on the right spew their vile rhetoric, I have just one thing to ask… “God, please, if you’re listening, save me from those Christians… they do not speak for you, they do not follow your teachings, and they are not loving as you have asked them to be, but forgive them, for they are lost and they know not what they do.”

And to you Mr. President… keep the faith, you are on the right path… you will prevail.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers, 
Your Gadfly Granny

1 comment:

  1. Granny,

    Since we don't know each other (at least I don't think we do) I was just wondering how you read my mind? You posted in this everything I've been thinking over the past few months! Now I have to take some time and go back and read all of your entries!

    ReplyDelete