What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, November 11, 2011

Letter #119... Aloha Mr. President... The Party of Dismantle, Destroy, Decimate and Deny...

Letter #119

Aloha Mr. President:

Today we're both in the beautiful state of Hawaii... my husband and I are vacationing on the beautiful island of Maui and even though you are here for the APEC Conference... which is all about cooperation, and nations moving forward in the ever changing global economy... this is still home for you.

This day is significant for many reasons... first and foremost is of course Veterans Day... a day to honor all those that have served and sacrificed so much for their country and for all Americans. And to them, we give our heartfelt thanks.

It is also a day to remind you and other world leaders that wars are not the answer to our problems, but talk, cooperation, compromises and a desire for world peace can only be achieved by coming together for the common good of all people in all places around the globe.

We can only achieve these goals by moving forward, for it is the only direction opened to us, and for us. Which brings me to another question I want to ask in todays letter... What on earth does the Republican Party stand for anymore?

In the last debate we heard Rick Perry suggest that we do away with three federal agencies... Commerce, Educations and oops... while Ron Paul suggested that there were really five we should abolish, and suggested the EPA as Perry's third one. And that's the problem Mr. President... the Republicans always want to move backwards, their primary motivation and answer to almost everything is... 'Dismantle, Destroy, Decimate, and Deny' every single achievement and advancement that's been made over the last 50 years.

Just think about the GOP mantra ever since you were elected... dismantle Social Security, destroy Medicare, decimate Medicaid, deny women their reproductive rights, and deny the LGTB community just about everything. Yes, the GOP is so busy looking backwards that they cannot move forward because they have no clue where they're going, and that is why they are stumbling and bumbling through debate after endless debate.

It would be foolish to begin the rebuilding process in the midst of continuous bombing, and that's what I don't understand about Republicans... they cannot even talk about rebuilding America while they are in the process of dismantling, destroying, decimating and denying... and that Mr. President is what you need to keep in mind as you make decisions for the American people... we need, and want to move "forward"... and as Perry so eloquently put it... "This ain't a day for quitting nothing." And to that my only response is, "Yikes"... and this man wants to be President?

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers,
Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment