What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Day 21... Dear Mr. President...You took a chance, it paid off!


Day 21

Dear Mr. President,

Congratulations... you proved the Republicans were wrong on the bailout money for the auto industry. You took a chance in spite of the naysayers saying it was a waste of taxpayers money. They were wrong and you were right. Both GM and Chrysler have not only paid back the bailout money with interest, but also paid it well ahead of schedule. The thousands of jobs you saved by having faith in the American autoworker have not gone unappreciated.

We have three people in our family that work in auto sales and the auto aftermarket, and although each has had a significant reduction in salaries, they each still have their jobs. If you had not stepped up to the plate and saved the automakers with the bailout funds, our relatives would surely be out of a job, and for that we are grateful, and we thank you.

I know you don't receive many letters thanking you, and in fact, I have sent many letters critical to your stance on various issues, but when you get something right, it's only fair to give you the kudos that you deserve.

I know that you make reasoned decisions on everything, based on the extensive information you have at your disposal... information that the average American does not have access too. So while I often question your reasons for taking action one way or the other, I have to trust that you are acting in behalf of all of us, and for the common good. I just wish you would be a little more forthcoming on some of your reasons for your actions.

For instance... siding with the Republicans to extend the Bush tax cuts to the wealthiest Americans. I'm still scratching my head about that one. I have however, decided that it must be a long-term goal to 'hang it around the Republicans necks' in the next election cycle. The same scenario could play well with tax breaks and subsidies for the oil companies.

I have to believe this because otherwise it just doesn't make any sense as to why you would save the struggling auto industry, but continue to reward those that surely do not deserve or need to be rewarded. So on this, I'm going to give you the benefit of doubt, and hope that when you are re-elected that you will in fact, fix this egregious inequity.

Thank you again for taking a chance, and saving the American Auto Industry.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment