What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Sunday, May 8, 2011

Day 4... Dear Mr. President... 60 Billion a Year in Insurance Fraud.


                                                                                            5/8/11
Dear Mr. President,

Yesterday I mentioned to you that we have innumerable problems in this country that need to be addressed, and I’m going to talk about just one of those problems that costs this country over 60 Billion dollars a year… insurance fraud. I say this country because this country is it’s people, and it’s the people that pay for that fraud through high premiums. This is just one scam… you can just imagine how much it is costing this country if you add all the scams together.

American Greed
You hear about it all the time… people receiving exorbitant medical bills for simple procedures, or for things like a band-aid costing $10 on a hospital bill. Half of the time if a person took the time to actually look at the itemized bill, they would discover that they didn’t receive half of the things their insurance company was being bill for. I know it’s, happened to me. When you bring it to the attention of the doctor, or the billing department, they often apologize and then remove the questionable charges. But, how often do you suppose people just say to themselves, “Oh well the insurance company will pay for it anyway,” not realizing that we all pay for it in higher premiums.

I’m not sure if you are aware of a television program called American Greed, but the purpose of the program is to expose fraud, scams, cons and schemes, perpetrated against the American public and our Government. I’ve watched a few episodes, and I want to tell you… it’s positively disgusting to think that people commit these crimes to get rich at the expense of their fellow citizens. You can Google American Greed and watch a few episodes for yourself, but trust me, you won’t be pleased to learn how much this is costing everyone. And of course, the real irony is… the Government and YOU get blamed for most of it. 

So here’s the planReward people for catching fraudulent schemes, cons, and scams, yes, reward them with… oh, lets say, $100,000. I’ll tell you, people will be looking at everything with a skeptical eye… they’ll go over every bill with a fine-toothed comb… I know I would. See, here’s the thing… when we’re being robbed we scream like hell, but if we don’t know we’re being robbed, we’re silent. I say, “get the people behind you on this”… go on American Greed and pitch it to the public… What have you got to lose Mr. President? The people already think the Government is in collusion on some of these schemes, so again, what have you got to lose?

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment