What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Day 27... Dear Mr. President...Just a few of Obama's accomplishments.


Day 27
Dear Mr. President,

Today I am sending you all the letters I have written to you for the Month of May 2011. Since I have not yet received an auto-reply from the White House site, I have decided that snail-mail might be best. So at the end of each month I will print out my letters to you with any attachments that may be pertinent, and mail them through the Post Office…. which by the way, is very efficient and reliable.

While many of my letters have been critical of the things that still need your immediate attention, not enough was said about all the fine accomplishments you are responsible for enacting. So I would like to take this opportunity to thank you personally for a few, that to me, and many other Americans are particularly important.

Regarding the Military… You ordered better body armor for our troops, improved housing for military personnel, ended ‘no-bid’ defense contracts, and you authorized construction of additional health care centers for veterans, just to name a few.

In addition, you instituted enforcements for equal pay for women and appointed the first Latina, Sonia Sotomayor, to the Supreme Court. You signed the first major piece of federal gay rights legislation, and proposed the repeal of ‘Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell’ and placed a freeze on efforts to remove gays from the military, although I don’t believe the military is complying with that order.

In areas of Health Care, you wisely removed restrictions on embryonic stem-cell research, and supported new biomedical research. You reversed some of the restrictions that prevented Medicare from negotiating cheaper drugs with the Pharmaceutical Companies, and you authorized the FDA to regulate tobacco.

There are hundreds of accomplishments that you have achieved and implemented that most of us have forgotten, because as President you can never really do enough to satisfy everyone… not even me. We are in such dire straights, as a country, that it is easy to overlook the good that’s been done. I don’t want you to think I’m not grateful for all you have done, because I am… I can’t even imagine, nor do I want to imagine, what state this country would be in if McCain and Palin had been elected. Keep up the good work, and I’ll try not to be such a nag… but I can’t promise you that, because I am the “Gadfly Granny.”

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment