What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Day11... Dear Mr. President


Day 11
Dear Mr. President,

Today is Sunday, and a day when so many people practice their faith or attend the church of their choice. I’m not a fan of organized religion, because I find most, if not all religions lacking in one way or another. But since it’s Sunday, I decided to come clean because I’ve heard that ‘confession is good for the soul.’ Not that I’m worried about my soul, but I do need to confess a small lie I told you last year… well, I think it was a lie… still not sure, but to be on the safe side, I must come clean.

In my first letter I started off by saying “you don’t know me yet”… but, we have in fact, met. I attended a fundraiser for Barbara Boxer at the Fairmont Hotel in San Francisco.  When you finished giving your speech, which, by the way, was very inspiring, you headed off stage in my direction. As I was shaking your hand I told you that my 93 year old Aunt Virginia voted for you in the last election, and it was the first time she had ever voted for a Democrat. You graciously thanked me and told me to thank my Aunt and to give her your best.

At the time I thought that she had indeed voted for you because I had been working on her for some time, and she didn’t like McCain or Sarah Palin. Long story short… the next time I went for a visit, and armed with lots of photos, I told my Aunt what I said to you, and your reply. She said, “Oh you devil you.” I asked her, “Well you did vote for Obama, didn’t you?” She just laughed, but never did answer my question.

Last year my dear Aunt passed away, and I must confess that I can’t say with any degree of certainty, that she did in fact vote for you in “08. So there you have it… my conscious is clear… I’m sorry I didn’t clear that up at the beginning of my letters to you, but the slate is clean now… I can move on.

Since it is Sunday, and I know you are a man of faith, I ask that you search your conscious about the men and women still serving in two wars, and not only pray for them, but take the steps necessary to bring them home to their families. It’s time. As my Aunt would say… “Don’t put things off, there is no time like the present to do what has to be done.”

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment