What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, May 27, 2011

Day 23... Dear Mr. President...Beware...the demise of Roe V. Wade.


Day 23

Dear Mr. President,

I was very disappointed to learn that Goodwin Liu withdrew as a nominee to the 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in San Francisco. He was an excellent choice and would have served the people of the 9th Circuit well.

I can understand his reason for withdrawing as a nominee… he has a career, and a family to support and think about. He cannot live in limbo hoping that the Republicans will somehow, miraculously vote to approve his nomination. The sad reality is they never would, regardless of his credentials.

Aside from the obvious travesty of the loss to the 9th Circuit, it’s an ongoing problem for this Administration to have so many court vacancies on the Federal level. The reality is that the Republicans are not going to approve any nominations to our Federal Courts unless they are conservatives.

We are already experiencing the devastating results from our “conservative” Supreme Court Justices, with their “green light” for corporations to contribute unimaginable amounts of money to conservative candidates.

It is quite obvious what the “real agenda” is for the Republicans. Their real agenda is to block all your court nominations in hopes that they can control more of the House and they hope, the Senate. Then they can pack our Federal Courts for years to come, and have ultra conservatives lined up for any Supreme Court picks. This is not rocket science all you have to do is connect the dots.  They want to pack the courts so they can continue to dismantle Roe V. Wade. You know it and I know it.

So what can you do about it, and what are you going to do about it? You can start by being more aggressive with “your message” to the people about the ultimate Republican plan. The majority believe in a “woman’s choice”… If the Republicans get their way it will become the “men’s choice”, again, the men on the Supreme Court. I implore you… do not let this happen. You need to find a way to get your appointments through… before it’s too late.

I know you’re probably working on this, but it needs to be put on the “front burner” and you need to turn up the heat to get approval for your Federal Court nominees.

Most Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment