What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, May 20, 2011

Day16... Dear Mr. President... The Apocalypse, Yikes!


Day 16
Dear Mr. President,

America… the land of opportunity, and home to the most unlikely, and off the wall, entrepreneurs. Is this country great, or what? The buzz today is all about Harold Camping’s prediction that the world will begin to end tomorrow, May 21, 2011, with earthquakes that will spread across the planet.

The best part of this “Rapture” is not the people who blindly follow a delusional old man believing they will instantly ascend to heaven, but the people smart enough to profit from it. I’m quite sure the 2,200 billboards plastered with his message were not ‘gifts’ given to Camping to help him spread his word.

A printer was paid to print them, people were paid to put them up, and the owners of these billboards charge a hefty price for this type of advertizing space. The same goes for the vans plastered with his message that have been crisscrossing the country for two years. And then there are the inevitable T-shirts, and coffee mugs. But my personal favorite for thinking outside the box is the group that for an upfront fee, will guarantee to pick up and care for your pet, should you suddenly be “raptured” up to heaven.

The GOP is always telling us that it’s the ‘rich’ who provide jobs and keep this economy going, and that’s why they need the tax cuts and tax brakes. In reality it’s ordinary people, that without even trying, like Camping… provide the most opportunities for entrepreneurs.

You have to feel sorry for the people that are duped by this Rapture-obsessed, delusional evangelical radio show host. I wonder how much of their money he took in donations to ‘spread his word’? He looks to me like he’s led a pretty comfortable life, with the help of his ‘followers’.

Meanwhile the rest of us go about our daily routine of getting the kids off to school, going to work, and living today the best we can. To do otherwise would really be cataclysmic… the world would truly ‘stop’ if everyone just stayed home and waited to be saved. But the reality is we can only save ourselves through hard work and putting one foot in front of the other and moving forward each and every day.

But Camping is right about one thing… the world will begin to end tomorrow, as it does each and every day, just as we do from the moment we are born, we are heading toward death. It’s called the circle of life, and there’s nothing biblical about it.  In the meantime, I’m going to spend today eating nothing but dessert. How about you Mr. President… can I interest you in a brownie?

Respectfully,

Marcia Reimers
The Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment