What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Sunday, June 12, 2011

Day 39... Dear Mr. President... A time for summer fun without worrying about the war.

Day 39

Dear Mr. President,

Yesterday, along with my husband Gary, we journeyed to the Bay Area to attend our grandson's end of the year award ceremony for his Little League team. We're fortunate to be heathy enough for the trip, and have enough money to afford the gas for a 5 hour round trip, not everyone has that luxury.

While I was sitting on the warm grass waiting for the ceremony to start I was watching all the kids running around with their friends, eating hotdogs, tossing baseballs back and forth, and having a great time on a warm summer day. The excitement was running high, and with big grins on their faces, the kids eagerly awaited receipt of their trophies. The proud parents, grandparents and siblings, enjoying their success and achievement.

Judging from the crowd, it appeared to be a worry-free and care-free day for everyone... but was it? Was there a young boy whose father or mother were not able to attend because they are stationed in Iraq or Afghanistan serving their country? Do they really understand this 'war' or why their parent is not able to share their excitement? Are these kids really able to enjoy the 'moment' knowing their parent might be in harms way? I'm sure that this scene is being played out all across America just as we begin to enjoy our summer season with hopes and dreams for the future of these kids. And, I'm quite sure none of the parents were thinking that someday these same kids may be risking their lives in some other war, far from home. After all, this is America, and it's baseball season.

It is also Sunday, the day I have dedicated each week to remind you that the moms and dads of some of these kids would like to be home with their families. Our men and women have already given enough of their time, sweat and tears, it's time to bring them home. It's time for them to enjoy the lazy days of summer with backyard bar-b-q's and baseball games. It's time for their children to shed the cloak of worry and anxiety, to laugh and just be a kid again, without the worries only an adult should bare.

Please bring our troops home... their families need them here, they need them safe, they need them for their futures... futures free from the threat of injury or death. Today is Sunday, please bring our men and women home to enjoy 'this' summer with family.

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment