What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Tuesday, June 14, 2011

Day 41...Dear President Obama...Five "Truisms" first you'll laugh, then you'll cry...funny and sad.


Day 41

Dear Mr. President,

Yesterday a friend of mine sent me an email with a few ‘truisms’ she thought were pretty darn funny, and I have to admit some were very amusing. The interesting part for me was the fact that there was a little too much ‘truth’ is some of them that referenced politicians. While this may seem like a silly thing to write about, I feel that it captures the mood of the electorate and how we perceive our elected officials.

Truism #1… “The reason Politicians try so hard to get ‘re-elected’ is that they would ‘hate’ to have to make a living under the laws they’ve passed.” I think there is a lot of truth to that one, and maybe that’s why they fought so hard against a decent health care plan… they want to keep the ‘government’ one they have but don’t give a damn about the rest of us. Why else would they refuse to even consider a single payer plan?

Truism #2… “I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we can identify their “corporate” sponsors.” I think that is an excellent idea, in fact, I think they should have to wear the corporate patch or logo of every company they receive more than $500 from. Kind of like a scout uniform with all the badges they work for. After all, our politicians work very hard to ‘earn’ those corporate dollars, often at the expense of their own integrity and at the expense of the American public… like voting to continue the “Tax cuts for the rich.”

Truism #3… “We have enoughyouth”. How about a fountain ofsmart”? Yes, we have more people interested in staying young, acting young, or looking young… spending huge amounts of money on various plastic surgery procedures, tattoos and piercings, and then the tattoo removal. I have to wonder how much money they’ve spent on their ‘education’ as opposed to how they look. Unfortunately, our society seems to place more value on how you look, than what’s in your head. Just maybe, we shouldn’t be cutting our schools and our teachers, and start placing a higher, not lower priority on educating our ‘youth’.

Truism #4… “Do you know why a banana is like a politician? He comes in green, then he turns yellow and then he’s rotten.” This is essentially the way most people view politicians regardless of their political party. First we get all the campaign promises, then after the election when they figure out that they can’t make good on those promises, then comes the excuses. Isn’t that kind of what happens, isn’t that kind of what’s happening to your presidency? No disrespect Mr. President, but the troops are still in Iraq, Gitmo is still operating, and tax breaks for the super wealthy are still the norm. Please don’t let this happen to your presidency… you’re too good for that ‘rotten’ end.

Truism #5… This is the last one and the saddest one, but it illustrates how hopeless people feel, and it’s this…“We are born naked, wet and hungry. Then things get worse.

What has happened to “Hope”… do we even know what that is any more?

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment