What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Friday, June 17, 2011

Day 44...Dear Mr. President...It's the last day of 'Grammy Camp' and life is good.



Day 44

Dear Mr. President,

Today is my 44th letter to my 44th President, so I thought I’d talk about a few things that I’m grateful for having these past 65 years. First of all I’m lucky to be here because after my sister and brother were born in ’42 and ’44, my father had a vasectomy. Imagine my moms surprise when the doctor told her she was expecting #3… me. Of course I was special because I was born on my grandfather’s birthday… December 7th. Since our last name was Fields, they referred to my mom as the fertile fields… and after me there are another 3… making our family a ‘six pack’ of kids.

This past week has been ‘Grammy Camp’ week… it’s when I have some of the nine grandchildren I have, for a week with Grammy. Their parents know that this is a week of treats, sweets, movies, slime making, staying up late, swimming, and just plain being spoiled. We only have a few rules, no whining, no asking for ‘treats’ just take one when you want it, teeth must be brushed, and no fighting or bickering. Each kid gets to pick their own box of ‘sugar cereal’ that their parents won’t let them buy at home. Sodas are restricted to non-caffeine and sugar free, and they have to eat some fruits and veggies of their choice each day. The highlight of the week comes when we go to our local ice cream parlor and have ice cream for dinner and French fries for dessert… that’s always a big hit with all the kids and us ‘big’ kids too.

The kids have a great time, the parents get a break, and I enjoy the time spent doing fun things that I hope the grandkids will remember with fondness. I never knew my grandparents, and my mom was still busy raising her own kids and was not able to enjoy the grandchildren… so no fond memories for them. So I decided that I would be the kind of Grandma that I would have wanted, and I think I’ve pretty much done that.

I am also grateful for my health… being a cancer survivor of 4 years, each day is a gift and having the ability to spend time with my grandkids is extremely important to me.
You may be wondering what this has to do with my daily letter to you… well, it’s this… we live in a country where we are free to enjoy these things. The stores are filled with endless bounty, our cars are safe and we can travel on roads that are safe, our food supply is safe to eat, the water that comes out of the tap is safe to drink, the electricity comes on with the flip of a switch so we can watch movies, and we do all of this without fear from anyone or anything… how great is that?

America is a great place to be born and live, and I don’t take it for granted for even a second. I try to teach the grandkids that if they work hard in life, stay in school and get a good education that they will be able to enjoy these things with their children and then their grandchildren. Stay healthy, obey the law, and help people when you can.

I don’t blame immigrants who come to come to this country and want to stay, even if it is illegally… I know it’s not right and we need to uphold our laws… but I still don’t blame them… we live in a great country, in spite of the problems. Thank you for taking on the horrendous job of being President, I truly do appreciate all your efforts to make this country strong again. 

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment