What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Sunday, June 26, 2011

Day 52...Dear Mr. President...The time to "evolve" is now!


Day 52                       

Dear Mr. President,

As you know from previous letters to you, I am no fan of Republicans, in fact, I find most of them to be repugnant and offensive in their views.

However, I try to give credit where credit is due, so while your views on same-sex marriage are “evolving”… there are four Republican Senators from New York that have already evolved by voting in the affirmative to legalize same-sex marriage. I congratulate them and thank them for their courage and moral fortitude to vote for what is right, instead of voting in lock step with their party.

To Senator Grisanti I posted this on his FB page: Senator Grisanti… “At 65 and a lifelong "Liberal Democrat" I hardly ever agree with a Republican, but you Sir, deserve the respect and admiration of anyone that truly believes in "Equality." You took the emotion and religion out of your decision and based it on the "Law" and what is right. You Sir are to be commended for your courage, insight and straightforward truthfulness. As a result of your courage I know at least one gay couple that live in NY and are now engaged. This time Love has won over hate, and I thank you for your vote.” And, I would like to say the same to Senators Saland, Alesi, and McDonald.
Each of these Republicans had the courage to go against their own party and a few, against their religious beliefs, and it was the right thing to do. Each understood that they disappointed a large segment of their supporters, but they voted their ‘conscience’ and admitted that they could no longer deny anyone the basic right to marry.
And to the lone Democrat that voted against the bill, Sen. Ruben Diaz Sr., who said this on the floor… “But I am Christian first and then a Democrat, I always vote my conscience.” To him I would say this… “You Sir have let your God interfere with your duty as a law maker, you put your hand on ‘God’s Book’ and swore to uphold the laws the land, not the laws of your church. Two of those laws include the separation of Church and State, and the laws that protect our equality. You Sir are neither a Christian nor a Democrat and should not serve in the political arena. Please confine your “preaching” to your pulpit not on the floor of the NY Senate.”

Now I ask you Mr. President… when are you going to step up and have the same courage as the four Republicans just mentioned? When is your thinking going to “evolve” enough to take a strong stand, and really support the LGBT Community? The same community that supported you in 2008, and that you could possibly lose in 2012. It’s time to stand ‘with’ that community and on the ‘right’ side of history. I would like to add one more thing… God does not make mistakes, nor does he discriminate against any of his children, including his LGBT children.

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny
Marcia Reimers

No comments:

Post a Comment