What is Washboard Express?

Washboard Express is a way for me to express my own opinions, to be a provocative gadfly, by writing a "letter a day" to the President. I may miss a day here and there, because sometimes my family with be my first priority, but my goal is to write a total of 365 letters, representing one full year. To say I have opinions about most things would be to understate the obvious. Those of you that know me, know this is true, those who don't know me, will learn that it's true. The Washboard is a reference to going back to basics and "keeping it clean," so if you would like me to post your comments or opinions on this blog, I only ask that you be respectful. So go ahead, express yourself, and I look forward to an exchange of ideas and opinions.

Monday, June 13, 2011

Day 40...Dear President Obama...Was that Joe or "Bo" that you made the new Sheriff in Town?


Day 40

Dear Mr. President,

I listened with interest today when you were discussed putting an end to “Pointless waste and stupid spending” and that “No amount of waste is acceptable, especially at a time when so many Americans are already cutting back.” You also talked about not printing the ‘Federal Registry’ because no one read it and it’s been posted online for years, and you mentioned that it was “Just the tip of the iceberg.”

Just the tip of the iceberg is an ‘understatement’… Some time ago I wrote to Medicare and told them that the manual they send each and every person on Medicare could be eliminated altogether, by putting it online. And yet, both my husband and I have received multiple copies. That’s another very small example. You mentioned that we could save as much as 33 billion dollars every year if we cut out “all” the waste and got rid of the property the Federal Government doesn’t use or need.

I think that the “Campaign to Cut Waste” is great, and I’m all for cutting the “waste”… and lord knows there is more than enough, everywhere you look.

But… all of the waste you are proposing to end is, “Just the tip of the iceberg” compared to the cost of the wars, which have already surpassed 1 Trillion, ‘that’s Trillion with a capital ‘T’, dollars. These wars, and the money being “wasted” over there is going to be the iceberg that sinks the United States just as surely as the iceberg that sank the Titanic. You remember the Titanic… the ship that was designed to be unsinkable?

Right now the U.S. is on the same course as the Titanic, and just like the ship and the ‘Banks’ that were supposed to be ‘too big to fail’… the U.S. is not. You may have saved the Wall Street and the Auto Industry, but who is going to save us when we run out of money?

The answer to that is ‘nobody’… Nobody is going to step up and save America, so like the Titanic… we will go down. Even though this is not our ‘maiden voyage’ and we’ve been on this trip before, it seems we have not learned the lessons necessary to keep us from making those mistakes again.

So unless you Mr. President, and Sheriff Joe, are ready to make the ‘real cuts’ where they will make the most significant difference, then you may as well make “Bo” the new sheriff in town, because otherwise, this ship we call America will sink, and sink fast.

Most Respectfully,

Your Gadfly Granny

No comments:

Post a Comment